Reduced housing benefit

Circumstances which can reduce the amount of benefit you receive

Even if you are entitled to 100% maximum benefit based on your income, having another adult who is not your partner i.e. a son/daughter or an elderly relative living with you can reduce the amount you receive. These are called non-dependants.

Depending upon their age and circumstances a deduction may be made from your housing benefit. The rates of these deductions are set by parliament each year.

Deductions are not made if you, or your partner, are blind or in receipt of the care component of Disability Living or Attendance Allowance regardless of the number of non-dependants in your household or their circumstances.

You must include on your housing benefit claim form everyone living with you. You must tell us straight away if anybody leaves or joins your household or has a change in their financial circumstances.

A to Z of services