Advice for young homeless people

How we can help

As well as trying to find somewhere to stay you will have to find money to live on, you might need health care, you might have to move away from your family and friends. Fortunately there is a huge amount of advice and support available to help you.

You just need to know where to look

  • are you under 16
    • go to your local Social Work Office, they have a duty to assist you.
  • if you are over 16
    • go to your local housing office, they have a duty to assist you.
  • if it is after 5pm
    • You can also call Freephone 0800 953 2424 to contact the Out of Hours Service, or go to your local police station and ask them to contact the Out of Hours Service for you.

If you want advice from someone other than your local council there are some useful links below.

  • The Young Scot web site will give you information on all aspects of life.
  • Shelter are a long established housing aid centre who have been helping homeless people for many years.

Please use the 'contact us' box if you have any questions. For more information, see 'related pages' or 'downloads'.


A to Z of services