Advice on helping you stay in your home

When your council home is no longer suitable for you

At some stage in your life, you may find that your council home is no longer suitable. This may be because you find the layout of the house difficult if you are ill, elderly or disabled.

What can I do?

You can:

  • apply to move house; or
  • have your home adapted to meet your needs.

Can I continue to stay in my home?
Yes, you can stay in your home. We offer the following services which may help you stay in your home.

You may be able to have your home adapted to suit your needs.

Home adaptations range from putting in a shower to building a specially-adapted extension. If your home needs adapting because you are ill or disabled, a social work occupational therapist will assess you.

If you think your home needs adapting, please contact your local social work office and arrange an appointment with the occupational therapist.

If you are coming out of hospital and need an adaptation to your home, the hospital occupational therapist will assess your needs.

Changing the heating
If your home is heated by a solid-fuel central-heating system or a coal fire and you find it difficult to use the fire because of a physical disability or illness, you can apply to have the heating changed to gas. You cannot have your heating changed to any other type of fuel.

If you would like your heating changed, you should contact your local housing office (using the "Contact Us" box at the top right hand side of your screen) and fill in an application form which the occupational therapist will assess.

You may find that you need handrails at your front or back door. You can fill in a 'self-assessment request form' at your housing office and we will tell you how long it will take us to put in the handrails.

Help with your garden
If you are elderly or disabled and cannot cut grass or trim hedges in your garden, we can arrange for it to be done.

You should contact your local housing office and fill in an application form. If you have someone living with you or family living close by who can help you, we may not consider you for this scheme.

Homehelp service
You may also need help around the house. Please contact your local social work office for details about homehelp and other services.

Can I move to a house that is more suited to my needs?
If you are disabled or ill you can apply to move to a house with a layout that is more suited to your needs.

You can move to

  • ground-floor accommodation;
  • multistorey accommodation;
  • amenity housing;
  • housing that is suitable for wheelchairs; or
  • sheltered housing.

We, and other housing providers, own these types of properties throughout North Lanarkshire. If you want to move house because you, or someone who lives with you, has a physical disability, you can apply to be put on our medical list. You should fill in a self-assessment form which you can get from your local housing office.

We may contact your doctor or consultant, if necessary, for more information.

If we put you on the medical list, we will only consider you for ground-floor or multi-storey accommodation, amenity housing or housing which is suitable for wheelchairs. Staff at the housing office will be able to give you more advice about what happens after you have applied and what type of accommodation is available in your area.

Sheltered housing
Sheltered housing is for people who are 60 or over. People live in their own homes and they are linked to a Sheltered Housing Officer.

If you want us to consider you for this type of housing, you should fill in an application form that you can get, from your local housing office. We will give your application form points based on your housing needs.

Further Information

Please use the 'contact us' box if you have any questions.

A to Z of services