Disability Living Allowance

A payment to help with costs of disability or illness

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is being replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for disabled people.

You can only apply for DLA if you are under 16. If you're aged over 16 and have not reached state pension age you can apply for PIP instead of DLA. If you have reach state pension age and do not get DLA at present you can apply for Attendance Allowance (AA).

If you already get DLA, your claim might end. You'll get a letter telling you when this will happen and how you can apply for PIP.

Who can claim?
Children under 16 with care and/or mobility needs or who are terminally ill. Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs associated with looking after a child who has a health condition or disability. The child will have to meet the eligibility criteria detailed here.

Who pays it?
Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) Disability Benefits Centre.

How is it claimed?
Call 0800 121 4600 and request a DLA1 self-assessment pack to be posted out. Alternatively the claim form can be printed off here to be completed and then posted to the DWP.

Any age limits?
From age three years for the mobility component; no lower age limit for the care component. Can be claimed up to the age of 16.

Is it National Insurance based?

Is it means-tested?

How long does it last?
Awards can be made for a limited or open-ended period. It stops after 28 days in hospital or care home. (Please note - This can be cumulative e.g. one week then a break, then two weeks then a break, then one week = 28 days. It is important to keep track of this as overpayments can result if DWP are not advised on time).

Any effect on other benefits?
It only has a positive effect on means-tested benefits by attracting premiums which will increase these benefits.

Is it taxable?

Are there any dependant's additions?
No, but it is a qualifying benefit for a carer to get Carer's Allowance.

Is it payable in the European Union?
Yes, if in receipt of this prior to 1/6/92. Otherwise, for first 26 weeks. Specific advice available from: Overseas Benefits Directorate, 0191 213 5000.

What to do if you are unhappy with the decision?

  1. You can request that a decision be looked at again - this is known as a 'mandatory reconsideration'. You need to ask the DWP for a mandatory reconsideration within one month of receiving your decision and you must provide reasons as to why you are asking for the reconsideration.
  2. If you are still unhappy following the mandatory reconsideration decision you can make an appeal, which must be lodged within one month, directly to HM Courts and Tribunals Service.

Please Note
Three care rates of DLA: Low, Middle, High
Two mobility rates of DLA: Low, High

Please use the 'contact us' box if you have any questions. For more information, see 'other useful websites'.

A to Z of services