Preparing to leave the European Union

How the Citizens Advice network in Scotland can help

Citizens advice bureau logo

The UK is due to leave the European Union (EU) on or before 31 January 2020 and this means a number of changes that will affect citizens and businesses.

Citizens Advice Bureau is a national service with 28 advisers who all have extensive knowledge and understanding of immigration issues. 

Online advice for EU Citizens who live in the UK

If you're an EU national living in the UK and wish to stay, you should apply to the EU Settlement Scheme for the right to remain here after Brexit. You will also have to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you are a citizen of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland.  You can find out about how your rights might be affected on our advice page EU exit (Brexit) advice.

EU Citizens Support

specialist helpline service for EU citizens resident in Scotland is called EU Citizens Support and is funded by the Scottish Government. This service is free and impartial and is designed to help EU citizens and their families with issues and concerns about the EU Settlement Scheme. It is available across Scotland through our network of local Citizens Advice bureaux - find your local bureau.

This service is for EU citizens who would like to apply for settled status but have extra needs. For example, you may:

  • have difficulty accessing an Android mobile phone
  • have limited access to the internet
  • find it difficult to get the evidence you need to apply
  • be at greater risk due to personal circumstances
  • have specific immigration or residency issues.

You can get free, confidential and impartial advice from our website, in person at your local bureau and on the phone. The EU Citizens Support service has a national helpline 0800 916 9847 and is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

In addition, the UK and Scottish Governments have produced advice and guidance to help individual citizens and businesses prepare for the process of leaving the EU.

Here are the links to this information below:

EU Settlement Scheme

EU citizens currently living in the UK will have to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if they want to keep living in the UK after it leaves the EU.

Find out more about the EU Settlement Scheme and how to apply:

A to Z of services