Mining memorial unveiled at Cardowan

Workers at former Colliery remembered

x

Provost of North Lanarkshire, Councillor Jean Jones, was joined by dignitaries and members of the local community for the unveiling of the impressive Cardowan Colliery Mining Memorial at Stepps.

The mine at Cardowan, which began producing coal in 1929, was the site of several accidents where 55 miners lost their lives.

By the 1960's Cardowan was the only working Lanarkshire pit and eventually closed in 1983. The memorial features an original bogey that was used across North Lanarkshire's pits and was funded by the council's North Corridor Community Matters (Locality Partnership).

Cardowan memorial

Provost Jones said: "It was such a poignant occasion as we took the time to remember those who lost their lives working in the colliery but also to acknowledge the tremendous efforts of those who have worked so hard to have this memorial constructed.

"In North Lanarkshire we're extremely proud of our mining heritage and it was an honour to unveil the memorial in remembrance of all who lost their lives and who worked there over the years."

The site of the pit has now been developed with housing as Crowwood Grange and a decision was taken to name the streets after miners who died or were fatally injured in the 59 years of the colliery.

The programme for the memorial included a welcome and introduction, by Councillor John McLaren, Chair, North Corridor Community Matters (Locality Partnership); Guest speaker, Tom Clarke (former MP); Marvyn Mackay, Mining Memorial Committee; a dedication and unveiling ceremony performed by Rev Gordon MacRae BD MTh - Stepps Parish Church; Rev David Miller - Millerston UF Church of Scotland and Provost Jean Jones - North Lanarkshire Council; a blessing by Father Kenneth O'Brien and Father Daniel Rooney - St. Joseph's and St Dominic's RC Churches; an acceptance of memorial by Peter Downie, NUM and former miner.

A vote of thanks was given to all groups involved.

A to Z of services