Information for children and young people

Child protection information for you

If you are concerned about yourself or another child or young person speak to someone.

This might be a teacher, GP, social worker, police officer or member of staff from our social work locality offices.

If you think someone is in immediate danger you should contact the police (999).

You have rights

You have the right to feel safe and to be protected from harm from others.  Protecting Children and Young People: The Charter (produced by the Scottish Government) and the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child explains more about your rights and what you can expect from people who's job it is to help you. 

If you don't feel safe, speak to someone who can help you.

If you don't feel safe talk to an adult you trust. This might be your mum or dad, another relative or a family friend.  If the person you speak to does not listen to you, or does not take you seriously or is not able to help you, then speak to

  • your teacher
  • your doctor or school nurse 
  • a social worker
  • a police officer 

In an emergency if you or a friend need help contact the police or social work right away.  

To contact the police, call 101, or 999 in an emergency.  

Here are the contact details for the  Social work locality offices (if the offices are closed phone social work emergency services on 0800 121 4114).

Or phone Childline on 0800 11 11.

More information:

Here are a few websites that contain information you might find useful:


Advice and information for children and young people as well as real life stories, celebrity interviews and the chance to have your say by taking part in online polls.

Think U Know

Information on staying safe online, using mobiles and other new technology from the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre. Find out what's good, what's not and what you can do about it.  There's also a place where you can report if you feel uncomfortable or worried about someone you are chatting to online.

Scotland's Commissioner for Children and Young People

This website is for children and young people in Scotland. It's a place to learn about your rights, make your voice heard and find out whose job it is to help you live safe and happy lives.

The Hideout

This is a website has been created by Women's Aid to help children and young people understand domestic abuse and how to take positive action if it is happening to you or your family.

A to Z of services