Tenant's Right to Repair scheme

For small urgent repairs

Under the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001, Scottish secure tenants and short Scottish secure tenants have the right to have small urgent repairs carried out by their landlord within a given timescale.

When you report a repair we will advise you if your repair qualifies and the maximum timescale North Lanarkshire Council have to complete your repair. We may need to inspect your property first to see if your repair qualifies.

A list of repairs and timescales is provided below. If these repairs are not started within the timescales provided in the scheme, you have the right to contact us to ask for the alternative contractor.

1 day

  • Blocked flue to open fire or boiler
  • Blocked or leaking foul drains, soil stacks or toilet pans where there is no other toilet in the house
  • Blocked sink, bath or drain
  • Loss of electric power
  • Partial loss of electric power
  • Insecure external window, door or lock
  • Unsafe access to path or step
  • Significant leaks or flooding from water or heating pipes, tanks, cisterns
  • Loss or partial loss of gas supply
  • Loss or partial loss of space or water heating where no alternative is available
  • Toilet not flushing where there is no other toilet in the house
  • Unsafe power or lighting socket or electrical fitting
  • Loss of water supply

3 days

  • Partial loss of water supply
  • Loose or detached banister or handrail
  • Unsafe timber flooring or stair treads

7 days

  • Mechanical extractor fan in internal kitchen or bathroom not working

Should you request this or should the alternative contractor fail to complete the repair within timescale you may be entitled to compensation. The compensation only applies to jobs included in the Right to Repair scheme. You do not need to make a claim for this compensation; we will pay this automatically to you. If the repair is not started by the target date you may be entitled to £15 compensation with a further £3 for each working day beyond target until the repair is completed. The maximum compensation claim is £100 in any claim.

Please use the 'contact us' box if you have any questions. For more information, see 'downloads' and 'other useful websites'.

A to Z of services