Help for Homeowners - Scheme of Assistance

Helping private owners and landlords carry out repairs and maintenance

We can provide help to private homeowners carrying out repairs and maintenance to their properties.

The range of assistance available is set out in our Scheme of Assistance which is a public document detailing the type of assistance available and the criteria to be met to receive assistance.

The types of assistance available to owners includes the provision of information, advice, practical and technical assistance. Financial assistance is very limited and only available in specific circumstances. All assistance is subject to council priorities, available resources and tailored to individual needs and circumstances. Two adjoining owners experiencing the same problems of disrepair contacting the council might therefore not receive the same assistance package. Providing a range of assistance empowers owners to carry out works themselves and will help the council to assist more people in honouring their maintenance and repair obligations.

Where a disabled person's home no longer meets their needs, mandatory grant provision may be available. This will depend on the type of work required to make the persons home suitable for their needs and on whether their needs are deemed eligible for support under the Councils' Priorities Framework. This is determined following an assessment of the person's needs which is carried out by an assessing officer from social work services. 

The types of assistance that will be provided to disabled persons are described in the 'Scheme of Assistance'.

The Scheme of Assistance details:

  1. The mandatory assistance to be provided to disabled people
  2. Non mandatory/discretionary assistance that the council may offer to other owners and private landlords
  3. Details of the enforcement powers available to the council and what help the council will provide where these powers are used.

For more information a copy of the pdf icon Scheme of Assistance 2019 [253kb] document is available or contact the Private Sector Housing section.

As part of the Scheme of Assistance the council have developed a range of 'Guides' that provide homeowners with information relevant to maintaining and repairing their properties. This information is general and applicable to all owners. Guides can be viewed using the links available on the 'download' section of this page. If you wish to obtain copies in other formats please contact Private Sector Solutions.

The Repairing Standard and First-tier Tribunal for Scotland (Housing and Property Chamber)

If you are a private landlord or a tenant of a private landlord you should be aware of your statutory rights and responsibilities in relation to the Repairing Standard and the First-tier Tribunal for Scotland (Housing and Property Chamber), formerly known as the Private Rented Housing Panel. If you are a private tenant and are concerned about the condition of your flat or house, the Housing and Property Chamber may be able to help you.

Private landlords are legally required to repair the properties they rent out, but sometimes this is difficult to enforce. The Repairing Standard sets out landlord's obligations and the Housing and Property Chamber makes it easier to enforce these. Most private landlords keep their properties in good repair and make sure they meet their legal obligations. Enforcement action through the Housing and Property Chamber will only be necessary for the small number of landlords who fail to do so.

More information on private renting can be found at the Renting Scotland website. Information relating to the Housing and Property Chamber can be found here.

Under One Roof website

A new national website is available which provides very helpful information for people living in or managing works to common properties. The Under One Roof website contains:

  • articles on flat owners' legal responsibilities towards their co-owners
  • technical information to enable owners to identify repair problems
  • technical information to enable owners to understand quotations from builders
  • drawings and photographs to help owners identify the various parts that make up their building
  • sample letters for use when corresponding with their neighbours
  • advice on dealing with owners who refuse to participate in repairs

For people living in or managing works to common properties such as four-in-block, converted villas, new flats and traditional stone tenements the site provides a wide range of information.

A to Z of services