What you need to do next

When you sort out the affairs of someone who has died, you will need to deal with many organisations. People have different circumstances and the organisations you need to contact will vary.

This section suggests some of the things you may have to do.

You should return

  • all the person's medicines to a community pharmacist as soon as possible for destruction;
  • payable orders or benefit cheques to the local social security or Jobcentre Plus office. This applies also to a child benefit book which includes payment for a child who has died. Payments should not be cashed after the death of the person;
  • the person's passport to the United Kingdom Passport Service, 3 Northgate, 96 Milton Street, Glasgow G4 0BT. Before posting it, please cut off the top right hand corner of the book to physically cancel it. For further advice please click on link for the passport office or telephone the Passport Adviceline on 0870 521 0410;
  • the driving licence to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AB with a covering letter
  • the registration document of a car, for the change of ownership to be recorded;
  • Blue Badge - the blue badge is a parking badge given to some disabled people who find it difficult to get around without using a car. If the deceased person was a Blue Badge holder then their badge should be returned as soon as possible, to Housing and Social Work Services;
  • a season ticket, and claim any refund due*;
  • membership cards of clubs and associations, and claim on unexpired memberships*; and
  • library books and tickets.

You should enclose a note of explanation with the date of death with each of these documents.

*any sums recovered must be included in the inventory.

You should tell

  • the social security office if the person who died was receiving benefits. You can do this quickly and easily by telephoning the Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 882200. If you have speech or hearing problems you can telephone the text phone service 0800 243 355. You can also get general information from the government website;
  • the Housing and Social Work Services of the death if the person had been getting meals on wheels, home help, or had an appliance or aid issued by the service;
  • any hospital or nursing home the person had been attending;
  • the family doctor to cancel any home nursing;
  • the employer and trade union;
  • the children's teacher if a parent, brother or sister has died; and
  • the person's bank.

A to Z of services