Homes in multiple occupancy

In Scotland, under the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 (Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation) Order 2000, any rented property which is occupied by three or more unrelated people, who share a kitchen, bathroom or toilet, must have a licence from the local authority. Licences are valid for 3 years and every licensed premises will undergo an annual inspection by the licensing authority.

A to Z of services