You need a licence to put on a play in public as written down in the Theatres Act 1968.  The definition of a play is any show with:

singing, or
action, and
playing a character. 

This also includes ballets and musicals. 

If you have a Theatre Licence you do not need a Public Entertainment Licence under section 41(2) of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982. 

In England and Wales the Licensing Act 2003 has replaced this licence.

A to Z of services