Animal welfare officer service

Removing stray dogs and educating the public on dog ownership

The animal welfare officer service collects stray dogs which are then taken to North Lanarkshire Holding Kennels.

You can reclaim your dog by calling 01236 856300 or making enquiries at:

Environmental Health
Municipal Buildings
Kildonan Street

If your dog is not being held at the Holding Kennels then you should contact the Scottish SPCA, Lanarkshire Animal Rescue and Rehoming Centre, Bothwell Road, Hamilton, ML3 0SB, phone 03000 999 999 (normal office hours).

If the dogs are unclaimed after seven days they become the responsibility of the Council. From the 4th May 2020, uplifted dogs can only be returned to owners on a payment of a charge of £128.75 this charge remains unchanged from 2019. Find details of dogs uplifted this month.

If payment is received before 1pm on any working day we will return your dog that same day. If payment is received after 1pm we will return your dog the next working day.

The animal welfare officer service also:

  • Provides dog fouling bags at all libraries, First Stop Shops and bags are also available direct from environmental health offices.
  • If you are a resident in North Lanarkshire, we offer an identity chipping service for your dogs. There is now a £20 charge for the dog chipping service we provide. To request this service, please visit request dog chipping.
  • Investigates incidents where dogs are out of control and have caused alarm to members of the public or attacked other dogs or animals these can be reported by calling Northline on 01698 403110. 

Dangerous dogs are the responsibility of the police. If you have a concern about a dangerous dog in your area contact your local police station or call 101 to report these incidents. 

A to Z of services