Register a stillbirth

Any stillbirth which occurs in Scotland must be registered within twenty one days

A stillbirth may be registered at any registration office in Scotland provided the event occurred in Scotland.

After the stillbirth the doctor or midwife will issue a form (certificate of stillbirth). This form should be taken to the Registrar. If the parents are married to each other it would be helpful to take your marriage certificate with you when you go to the Registration office.

Once registration has been completed, the Registrar will give you the following documents: a certificate of registration of stillbirth which has to be given to the Undertaker, and, if requested, one extract of the entry, free of charge.

You can, if you choose, give a stillborn baby a name, but there is no obligation to do so.

Please use the 'contact us' box if you have any questions. For more information, see 'related pages', 'downloads' or 'other useful websites

A to Z of services